Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Lonely God

I wrote this a while back... a few months at least... don't remember the date. Anyway, I read this again today and thought that I should publish it. Hope this can help someone learn something new about God and ourselves.


Yesterday, while I was doing my prayer time, I asked God a few questions. I had a lot on my mind that morning, and I needed to hear that comforting voice. But, as we were talking He said something that I will never forget. He said, "I am a loner, too."

Understand that when He said, "Loner," He was speaking according to my understanding of the word. My understanding is that a loner is one who doesn't have very many friends, except for a few close ones; they are often alone. It may be an incorrect meaning, I'm not sure. But, that is how I understand the word.

As I am a loner, and have always been, and probably will be in some respects, that really hit me. Imagine: the God of the universe, great, mighty, and powerful. And He's lonely. You don't think that it could be possible. But, it is. He, too, feels the loneliness that we feel when we want someone close, when we need to speak to someone. He understands what it feels like to be ignored and unnoticed. He has a few (human) friends with which He is close, but other than that, the rest are half-friends and acquaintances. The former being those who only show up every once in a while for a little chat, the latter being those who only come when they have a problem, only to promptly remove communication again.

Question: if you experience loneliness and a desire to talk with others, and if God created you in His image (as He did), do you think that he wouldn't have those desires as well? That's why we were created: to spend time with him, communicating, talking, loving, and worshipping. That is our purpose on this Earth. Yes, our ministries and our goals are different, but we were still all created with the single purpose of communication with God. Without Him, we are nothing, just a wave in an ocean, and a grain of sand on the beach.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I just now found this and not sooner, but Praise God!! You couldn't be more right IF you tried! I will be looking for more of your posts, thank you so much. Oh, and come look through my offerings: http://wp.me/1UKiD The most recent one is not really a faith post, but all the others are. Please, have a look. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really never thought that God would be lonely. I knew Jesus was lonely when He was here on Earth but even in heaven? I never thought of it. Now I'll keep it in mind. This was really powerful.

    ReplyDelete